Cross for the War of Independence 1821–29
GRC011 Αργυρούν αριστείον Αγώνος της Ανεξαρτησίας 1821-29
- Decoration was instituted on 1 June 1834.
- Decoration was awarded to military personnel for service to the Greek nation in the struggle for independence from Turkey from 1821-1829.
- Decoration was awarded in three classes: silver cross to officers, bronze cross to non-commissioned officers, iron cross to privates and sailors.
- The obverse of the cross depicts a royal crown located on crossed swords and the inscription "ΟΘΩΝ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΛΛΑΔΟΣ" (Otto King of Greece). The reverse shows the coat of arms of Bavaria and the inscription "ΤΟΙΣΗΡΩ ΙΚΟΙΣΠΡΟΜΑ ΧΟΙΣ ΤΗΣ ΠΑΤΡΙΔΟΣ" (To the Heroic Defenders of Our Motherland).
- Greek War of Independence - was a successful war of independence by Greek revolutionaries against the Ottoman Empire.