Military Medical Cross

GHD000  Militär-Sanitätskreuz

  • Decoration was instituted by Grand Duke Ludwig III on 25 August 1870.
  • Decoration was awarded to persons, regardless of status, who have distinguished themselves through meritorious services in the medical field, but especially in the care and transport of wounded and sick soldiers during the War of 1870/71.
  • On 12 August 1914, a ribbon clasp was donated for the holders of the Military Medical Cross from 1870, who again distinguished themselves in the medical service during the 1914/18 War.


  • Decoration was renewed by Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig on 12 August 1914.
  • Decoration was awarded to persons, regardless of status, who have distinguished themselves through meritorious services in the medical field, but especially in the care and transport of wounded and sick soldiers during the First World War.

Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt