Order of May of Merit
ARG003 Orden de Mayo al Mérito
- Order instituted by Decree No. 16.629 on 17 December 1957.
- Order awarded to civilians in recognition of meritorious services and personal efforts to contribute to the progress, culture, solidarity and international understanding to the benefit of Argentina.
- Order awarded in six grades: Collar, Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight. The Collar was abolished in 1958.
- There are three different types of order: Type I : female bust (1957-1973). Variation I - rays without enamel, variation II - rays with enamel; type II - male torso (1974-1976). Variation I - rays without enamel, variation II - rays with enamel; type III - female bust (1976-present).
- May Revolution - series of events that resulted in the establishment of Argentina as an independent republic.