Initially the Silver Brooch of Merit for Women (Silberne Verdienstbrosche für Frauen) was established on 25 April 1892 by King William II. In February 1900, the award was renamed to the Silver Cross of Merit for Women (Silbernes Frauen-Verdienstkreuz). In 1902, the golden class of the cross was added. On 22 October 1907 award was instituted by King William II as Ladies Merit Cross (Frauen Verdienstkreuz) in two classes.
Medal awarded to women and young women, who worked in the field of charity, or in a religious or social field, who rendered outstanding had personal self-sacrificing service.